Grant & Fellowship
The Asia Center Fellowship Program
- May 25, 2017 : Announcement of Fellows [FY2017 1st Round]
The Asia Center Fellowship Program Guideline FY2017
*The information provided here is only an outline of the program. Please refer to the Application Instructions for more details.
Residents of Japan or one of the ten ASEAN countries, and who holds a nationality, citizenship, or permanent residency of Japan or one of the ten ASEAN countries.
Joint or cooperative research that are toward forming networks/platforms in the arts and culture, sports, and intellectual exchange.
- The ten ASEAN countries or in Japan.
- Can be conducted in two or more countries.
- ASEAN applicants must include Japan as one of their project sites.
- Applications that propose research in the applicant's country of residence are not eligible.
3. Acceptance of Host Institution(s)/Individual(s)
To ensure the collaborative nature of the program, applicants are required to have acceptance of the Host Institution or Individual.
1. Duration Categories
- Short term: 21 days to 59 days
- Long term: 60 days to 6 months
2. Grant Coverage
- Round-trip International Airfare (discount economy class)
Applications will be screened according but not limited to the following.
1. Selection Criteria
- Accordance with the mission of the Asia Center
- Clarity in objectives, plans, and goals of the project
- Concrete methods of collaboration that cross national boundaries
- Reasonable and effective choice of area(s) of activities/project
- Reasonable choice of Host Institution(s)/Individual(s)
- Realistic and effective Fellowship Period, scheduling, and goal(s)
- The proposed activity/project's relevancy to the applicant's previous achievements
- Applicant's potential for future engagements, development etc.
- Achievements that extend beyond the applicant's and channel back into society at large
- Contribution to the building of the bedrock or development of the relevant field
2. Acceptance of Host Institution(s)/Individual(s)
- To ensure the collaborative nature of the program, applicants are required to have (an) Acceptance Form(s) from the Host Institution/Individual.
- Should the applicant be negotiating with the Host Institution(s)/Individual(s) at the time of the application, submit document(s) indicating its status.
- Failure to submit such forms may lead to the application given lower priority.
Deadlines and Schedule of Notification of Results
- Deadline: No later than December 1, 2016
- Schedule for Result of Notification: April 2017
(Projects that commence between June 1, 2017 and November 30, 2017)
- Deadline: No later than June 1, 2017
- Schedule for Result of Notification: September 2017
(Projects that commence between December 1, 2017 and May 31, 2018)