Another film screening from the Asia Center and Athénée Français Cultural Center! This year we bring to you a lineup of films from the old masters to rising filmmakers from all over Southeast Asia!
Film critic Philip Cheah is scheduled to join us for the symposium on February 10, 2018!
In celebration of the 50th anniversary of ASEAN (Association of Southeast Asian Nations), the Japan Foundation Asia Center organized "What's Next from Southeast Asia" featuring notable works which were recommended by established filmmakers of Southeast Asia. This was held at the 2017 Tokyo International Film Festival (TIFF) and marked the fourth edition of CROSSCUT ASIA.
As a subsequent TIFF-CROSSCUT ASIA tie-up event, the Asia Center teamed up with Athénée Français Cultural Center again to bring to you another film screening "What's Next from Southeast Asia: Old Masters, Masters, and the Young Blood" held from February 6 to 10, 2018.
This time, we present a genealogy of Southeast Asian film through remarkable works by the masters such as Riri Riza (Indonesia) and Brillante Ma Mendoza (the Philippines), classics by the old masters such as Lino Brocka (the Philippines), short films by the upcoming directors, and an omnibus film by 10 independent filmmakers.
On February 10, there will also be a symposium on the history and future of Southeast Asian film joined by Singaporean film critic Philip Cheah and director Koji Fukada.
A booklet that includes interviews, film reviews, and much more will be distributed to visitors of this film screening.
Three-ticketed coupon tickets are also available so please do join us to see Southeast Asia films throughout three generations!
Click to enlarge (Japanese), PDF: 1.5MB
Schedule (starting times)
- February 6 (Tuesday), 2018
- 4:00 p.m. Maynila: Sa mga kuko ng liwanag / Manila in the Claws of Light (124 mins.)
- 6:30 p.m. GIE (147 mins.)
- February 7 (Wednesday), 2018
- 2:20 p.m. Best Selections of Southeast Asian Short Films (total 99 mins.)
- 4:30 p.m. Santi-Vina (117 mins.)
- 7:00 p.m. Ponirah Terpidana / PONIRAH (107 mins.)
- February 8 (Thursday), 2018
- 1:20 p.m. Ponirah Terpidana / PONIRAH (107 mins.)
- 3:40 p.m. GIE (147 mins.)
- 6:40 p.m. Fragment (134 mins.)
- February 9 (Friday), 2018
- 2:10 p.m. Fragment (134 mins.)
- 5:00 p.m. Tirador / Slingshot (86 mins.)
- 7:00 p.m. Santi-Vina (117 mins.)
- February 10 (Saturday), 2018
- 12:00 p.m. Tirador / Slingshot (86 mins.)
- 2:00 p.m. Maynila: Sa mga kuko ng liwanag / Manila in the Claws of Light (124 mins.)
- 4:30 p.m. Best Selections of Southeast Asian Short Films (total 99 mins.)
- 18:15 p.m. Symposium (80 mins. tentative)
Guests: Philip Cheah (Film Critic) and Koji Fukada (Film Director)
Moderator: Shozo Ichiyama (Program Director, TOKYO FILMEX)